WARN YOUR FAMILY, FRIENDS, AND YOUR NEIGHBORS
Business Predator Alert – Over the last few years Southern California has been invaded by a few unscrupulous garage door companies who see this area as a “target rich” environment whereby they can line their pockets with ill-gotten gains obtained from trusting unsuspecting customers. This has been a source of great concern for us and the Garage Door Industry as a whole. About two years ago, this concern became personal when a company known for their shady tactics changed their name for the umpteenth time to Garage Door Services Co. and included GDS as part of their logo.
We were aware of the name change right off because we immediately began receiving complaints that were meant for them that were damaging our good name and reputation. This is not just our perception because a week rarely passes when we aren’t contacted by one of GDS’s victims who think we are the company that “ripped them off”. On top of that, we have had horrible reviews posted on the internet by people we have never worked for and in areas where we do not serve that are meant for them.
In spite of having their California Contractor’s License 927739 suspended for violations including unfair business practices, false misleading business practices, and elder abuse to name a few, they have again changed their name, this time to Garage Door Service and Repair and are at it again nationwide and especially in San Diego, Orange, and Riverside Counties. In fact, they are so successful luring in unsuspecting victims, with all of the money they make, they are able to totally dominate all forms of advertising. This domination is having a devastating effect on our business and other honest garage door companies.
The nationwide growth of GDS and the mountain of complaints against them has grown to the extent that a top garage door industry magazine, Door + Access Systems, published a feature article in their Fall 2015 issue. The cover page and the name of the article is:
THE WORST GARAGE DOOR COMPANY IN THE NATION
The entire article is located in the archive files of Door + Access Systems Magazine at the following website address below. Please take a few minutes to read the article here and then spread the news to everyone you know.
One of the terrible aspects of this whole situation in addition to the business we are losing is the innocent victims. Recently, February 3, 2016, while I was in the middle of writing this blog, we received a call from an elderly man in Moreno Valley, CA that was in the process of being victimized by this company. Although he was obviously being pressured, he had the presence of mind to call us to compare prices on several parts including a new garage door opener, new springs, and the list goes on and on. We tried to warn him that he was probably being taken advantage of but he hung up before we could find out if he sent them away.
So what are we going to do about the negative effect this is having on our business?
We are going to hang in there, pray a lot and keep taking care of our customers honestly and reliably just like we have since 1999. Next, we are going to keep fighting to get this company to either change their business model (rip off) or be forced out of business.
What can you, the consumer, do?
• Above all, please continue to call us for all of your garage door and garage door opener needs or issues. We treat you like family because you are.
• Warn your family, friends and neighbors about this and other companies like GDS. In reality, the most effective way to be rid of companies like GDS is for people to not call them or hire them in the first place. It seems like as soon as one head gets cut off another one grows in its place. Cutting off their income stream and starving them out is the only sure way to be rid of these predators.
• If you don’t hire us, always hire a California State Licensed Contractor. If you are not familiar with the company, check for complaints against the contractor at the Contractor State License Board at: http://www.cslb.ca.gov/. (Our license number is 822515).
• Check reviews on Google, Yelp or Angie’s or other reliable sites. Look for a repeat pattern of bad or low reviews and if you see it, don’t hire them. You can check out our reviews, here.
• Contact the Better Business Bureau to check the rating of the company you are proposing to hire. Our Rating is A+ and is certified by the BBB on our website. http://www.garagedoorspecialistsinc.com/about/credentials.php
• Remember, if the cost of the repair exceeds the cost of a new standard 24ga garage door. ($900+-) you probably need to call someone for a second opinion.
• If you suspect that you or someone you know has been victimized, call to report it. One victim called us, and we were able to help them get their money back.
Please pass this information along anyone you think may need to know. Let’s eliminate these predators once and for all.
Garage Door Specialists, Inc.